For many weeks, Pastor Miles has been teaching about God's communication with us.
We need to know how God communicates with us so that we don't miss what He communicates to us. God communicates in a variety of ways: spoken word (messengers or prophets), written word (e.g. God's finger in Exodus 31:18), creation (the book of Genesis), life (our lives themselves are an expression of God), dreams or visions, flesh (the incarnation of God through the person of Jesus), and through the Holy Spirit.
Logos - the full expression of God's rational thought
A deity's or a person's credibility is directly related to the integrity of his Logos. The Logos of false gods have no credibility.
God's Word causes growth like a seed (Luke 8:11-13), is sweet like honey, burns like fire (Jeremiah 20:9), crushes like a hammer (Jeremiah 23:29), cleanses like water (Ephesians 5:25-27), and is a light onto our path (Psalm 119:105).
A true God builds relationships with His Logos, makes His Logos accessible, is faithful to His Logos, and requires obedience to His Logos. Pastor Miles had pointed out before that one sign of a cult is that only one or a few people have access to God. The true God made Himself available to all of us.
Human Logos - Wise Guy
Our credibility as people is directly related to our Logos, as God's is. Therefore, we must take care with what we say, for the tongue is a power tool as well as a powerful weapon.
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. Matthew 15:18-19
But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. James 3:8-9
Here are some of Pastor Miles' points about using words wisely:
- A fool says whatever he feels, but a wise guy limits his words. (Proverbs 29:11)
- A wise guy studies before he responds. (Proverbs 15:28)
- A wise guy controls his words. (Proverbs 29:20)
- Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his tongue. (Proverbs 17:28)
Rhema - Gods Spoken Word
God's Rhema represents His intent to act. The best example of this is in Genesis. God said, "Let there be light stars, moon, oceans, creatures, fish " and it happened.
God is never separated from His Rhema. What God says always comes to pass; He never lies. When He says we will be blessed, we are, and when He says we'll be punished, this is equally true.
All that God has done glorifies God. God created each of us to glorify Him. You are a glory! You are fantastic because God made you that way, and desires for you to glorify Him with the life He has given you.
For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
- God's Word is not dead, but alive.
- God's Word is a life giver. (Psalm 119:25-28)
- God's Word is a soul invader. (Hebrews 4:12)
- God's Word is truth discerner. (Hebrews 4:12)
- God's Word is a heart cleanser. (Psalm 119:9-11)
- God's Word is a mind builder. (Psalm 119:97-99)
You have probably heard the saying, "What would Jesus do?" Pastor Miles indicated that this is not correct thinking, as Jesus' purpose on earth was to save us from our sin. Our purpose is different (and we wouldn't be able to accomplish that, anyway). God gives each of us our own purpose. So the question isn't, "What would Jesus do?" but rather, "What does God want me to do?"
Pastor Miles pointed out that the Bible is a book about relationship with God and is showing us how to have a relationship with our creator.
Here are some interesting facts about the #1 best-selling book of all time (6 billion copies sold):
- The Bible is 66 books: 39 Old Testament books written in Hebrew and 27 New Testament books written in Greek.
- It was written over a period of 1,600 years by over 40 authors, living on 3 continents.
- The shortest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 117, the middle chapter is Psalm 118 (the middle verse is Psalm 118:8), and the longest chapter is Psalm 119.
- God's Word is reliable. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- God's Word should be studied diligently. (2 Timothy 2:15)
- God wants to write His Word on our hearts and minds.
- He wants us to feed on His Word.
As God's Logos, Jesus is the full expression of God's rational thought. (John 1:1)
- Jesus came to fulfill the purpose of God's Logos. (John 17:1-5)
- Jesus demonstrated the power of God's Logos. (Mark 4:35-41) In fact, just as God spoke the world into creation, Jesus spoke things into being as well, such as the blind to see, the lame to be healed, and the dead to be alive.
- Jesus will come to punish those who reject God's Logos. (Revelation 19:13)
Pastor Miles also encouraged everyone to visit a Do Something website, not just for San Diego, but for the world: www.dosomethingworld.org.