Prophetic Language is a poetic and narrative language to communicate a prophets message from the Lord.
Setting: Northern Kingdom
Time: 753-723 BC
Audience: Israel, the Northern Kingdom
Pastor Miles began todays message with a biblical metaphor: human marriage is a representation of Gods relationship with us. He is the groom, preparing heaven for us, and we, the bride, are to prepare ourselves for Him.
He is the groom, preparing heaven for us, and we, the bride, are to prepare ourselves for Him.
Just as the Bible compares a godly relationship to marriage, it compares our worship of anything (other than God) to adultery. Adultery can easily kill a human marriage, making it nearly impossible to recover. Similarly, the worship of idols, even putting our trust in things other than God, can destroy our relationship with Him.
1. God views his people as His wife and expects us to be faithful to Him only.
When someone makes a marriage vow, she usually includes faithfulness to the other person, forsaking all others. God expects the same from us.
In Hosea 1:2 as a symbol of what Israel was doing to their relationship with God, He commands Hosea to take a harlot (prostitute) as his wife. Most of us could not even conceive of taking a prostitute as a spouse, yet this was how God felt about His peoples behavior.
2. Unfaithfulness to God leads to destruction by God.
In verses 3-4, Hosea and his new wife have a son to be called Jezreel (meaning to scatter), and bring an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. In this, God tells the prophet that the peoples adultery has brought forth the destruction of the nation. As in a real adultery situation, when the unfaithfulness has been discovered, things begin to come apart as hope and trust are broken and shattered. When Israel turns its back on God, Gods wrath is soon to follow as He foretold in Hosea.
3. Your sin can make you feel far from Gods love.
In verses 6-7, Hoseas wife conceives a second child whose name is to be Lo-Ruhamah, meaning to love and not to show mercy. Again, as in a marriage, mercy and love are hard to find for an adulterer. God feels the same way. By this name, He tells Israel to be separated from Him.
4. In what ways has your behavior disqualified you from being identified with Jesus?
Poor Hosea has a third child in verses 8-9 and God says, Call his name Lo-Ammi, For you are not My people, and I will not be your God. God turns His back on the people of Israel, who has turned away from Him?
5. God provides hope to the hopeless.
In verse 10, God brings a light at the end of the tunnel:
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered. And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them, You are not My people, there it shall be said to them,You are sons of the living God.
We know that God gave us a second chance (and third and fourth ) by having Jesus die on the cross for our sins or our adulterous behavior toward Him. This isnt always possible in a human marriage, but God reached out to us in His mercy, offering restoration and reconciliation with Him through Jesus.
It is time to accept this gift! No matter what your attitude or experience has been with God, you can take advantage of His mercy by repenting, accepting Jesus sacrifice and becoming restored with the Father.
- Part 1, The Journey
- Part 2, Foundations
- Part 3, Preparations
- Book One: Warriors (Week 1)
- Book One: Warriors (Week 2)
- Book One: Warriors (Week 3)
- Book One: Warriors (Week 4)
- Book Two: Loyalty (Week 1)
- Book Two: Loyalty (Week 2)
- Book Two: Loyalty (Week 3)
- Book Three: Soul Food (Week 1)
- Book Three: Soul Food (Week 2)
- Book Three: Soul Food (Week 3)
- Book Four: Law Enforcement (Week 1)
- Book Four: Law Enforcement (Week 2)
- Book Four: Law Enforcement (Week 3)
- Book Five: Twists and Turns (Week 1)
- Book Five: Twists and Turns (Week 2)
- Book Five: Twists and Turns (Week 3)
- Book Six: Letters (Week 1)
- Book Six: Letters (Week 2)
- Book Six: Letters (Week 3)
- Book Seven: Vision (Week 1)
- Book Seven: Vision (Week 2)
- Book Seven: Vision (Week 3)
- Book Seven: Vision (Week 4)