This week your homework is designed to help you focus on the ‘message,’ of the Scripture and not the translation. Read each of the passages in a popular English translation (NIV, ESV), an older English translation (KJV/RSV), and a paraphrase (MSG) or any three different translations. As you read at least three translations of different kinds of each passage, write, in your own translation, what you believe the ‘message’ of the verse is. The website studylight.org is a valuable resource for doing this easily.
For example, Proverbs 4:23 in the three translations in below:
- NIV: Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
- The Message: Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts.
- RSV: Keep your heart with all vigilance; for from it flow the springs of life.
Then, write your own translation and personalize what you believe the message is of the passage. You might write something like: “More important than anything else, I must vigilantly protect my heart because my entire life flows from it.”
- OT Narrative: Exodus 13:21-22
- Wisdom: Proverbs 4:23; 6:23
- Psalm: Psalm 119:105, 130
- Gospel: John 1:14; John 16:13
- Epistle: Hebrews 1:1-3
- Get to Know Your Online Campus Pastor
- Toys for Joy 2017
- A Military Christmas
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Nova Page
- Going Out and Coming In
- When God Moves
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Drew Barragan
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Andre Hudson
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Joshua Randle
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Ruben Mundo