Family, friends, and society don’t always understand how drastically the loss of a pet can affect us, and can find it difficult to support the grief we often feel. Our Pet Loss Support Group provides an environment where thoughts and emotions can be shared and feelings of grief are understood and validated. Our Pet Loss Support group is facilitated by a licensed, clinical social worker.
Check our calendar for dates or call 619.299.7012 x 2311 for more information or to make a reservation.
IF YOU ARE:
- Feeling lost without your pet,
- Wondering what to tell your child about the loss of a pet,
- Finding that family and friends fail to understand or attempt to minimize your loss,
- Wondering if it is too soon to get another pet,
- Still grieving for a pet you had some time ago,
- Considering euthanasia,
Our Pet Loss Support Group may help. Losing your companion animal can be an extremely difficult and painful experience, and we offer a caring, compassionate understanding of your loss.
The Pet Loss Support Group is open to everyone ages 10 and up and is appropriate for those who have recently lost a pet, are still mourning an old loss, are anticipating the death of a pet, or are preparing for euthanasia.
- Reservations are encouraged but not required.
- Evening and weekend sessions are available.
- Please bring a picture of your pet to the session.
- There are no fees for the Pet Loss Support Group. General donations are appreciated.
- Saying Good-bye to the Pet You Love, Lorri Greene, PhD and Jacquelyn Landis, New Harbinger Publications, 2002.
- Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die, Jon Katz, Villard, 2011.
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet, Moira Anderson, Peregrine Press, 1994.
- The Human-Animal Bond and Grief, Laurel Lagoni, Carolyn Butler and Suzanne Hetts, W.B. Saunders and Company, 1994.
- Preparing for the Loss of Your Pet, Myrna Milani, DVM, Prima Publishing, 1988
- The Loss of a Pet, Wallace Sife, Howell Books, 1998.
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney, Judith Viorst, Athenum, 1971.
- Charlotte’s Web, E.B. White, Harper Junior, 1952.
- Molly Phinney Baskett, SkyLight Paths Publishing, 2007.
- Golden Angels: Lessons in Love and Loss from Buddy Girl and Daisy May, Stephanie Weaver, Braver Endeavor Publishing, 2013.
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- The Delta Society
- Grief Healing
- Open to Hope
- Pet Loss Grief Support
- California Veterinary Medical Association
- Pet Loss Support Page
- American Humane Association – Pet Loss
- Navigating Grief: A Guidebook for Grief Awareness and Understanding
The Hug Club meets every other Sunday in La Mesa. For details about the location and dates, please visit meetup.com/The-Hug-Club-San-Diego-Grief-Support-Group-for-Pet-Owners. If you have questions, you can reach Catherine at [email protected] or 858-909-0009.
El Cajon area sessions are available. For more information, please contact Dr. Caroline Joseph, PsyD, at 619.334.0708 to make a reservation.
These lists and links are provided as a service to the community and do not necessarily include all pet loss resources. San Diego Humane Society is not affiliated with these organizations and does not take responsibility for the content therein.