The Lighting Technician will assist with the responsibility of the overall operation and management of the lighting and scenic systems at Rock Church. The Lighting Technician will work closely and report to the Lighting Designer. The Lighting Tech is also responsible for hanging lights, unloading and moving lighting equipment, and making sure all gear is fully functional.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the lighting designer in a safe and timely execution of lighting & scenic changes and builds.
- Ensures effective lighting system deployment and continual reliable operation of technical systems by developing processes and implementing standards with the help of the lighting designer.
- Ensures overall system maintenance and works to support other campus teams when needed.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and monthly all staff meetings.
- Evaluate systems and processes to ensure productivity and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain relationship with local vendors
- Assist in providing offsite support for lighting at external events under the direction of the lighting designer.
The above summary of duties represents the major tasks and duties. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Therefore, the individual may perform other related tasks under the direction of the Lighting Designer.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Lighting, Production, Communication, Business Management or related field preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years live or broadcast production experience is required.
- 3-5 years proven working experience in production (specifically lighting) in the para-ministry environment preferred.
- Previous production experience preferred.
Job Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Comprehensive understanding of lighting and scenic design in relation to music (worship preferred) and broadcast (internet, television, satellite venue, etc.)
- Ability to lead other staff, volunteer teams, and contractors in execution, planning, and training.
- Ability to conduct visual research and create/translate design concepts into a overall lighting design.
- Ability to create a working lighting plot based upon the needs of the lighting design and the available resources.
- Ability to effectively lead a crew in the safe and timely construction of lighting and scenic systems.
- Proficient in designing and leading the implementation of complex data and power distribution systems. Must have a comprehensive understanding of electrical loads, distribution & safety.
- Comprehensive understanding of rigging, safety, and the ability to lead such processes to be completed in a safe manner.
- Comprehensive understanding of networking and control protocol-based distribution systems (MA Net, ART Net, Hippo Net, ETC Gateway)
- Proficient in working with both conventional and automated lighting instruments. (VariLite, Martin, Elation, Chauvet)
- Comprehensive understanding of GrandMA 2 and MA nodes and NPU’s.
- Strong knowledge in media servers (Green Hippo)
- Comprehensive understanding of basic video components and equipment (Blackmagic equipment, etc)
- Must possess strong computer skills.
- Must be able to drive lifts in a safe manner and willing to work at heights for extended periods of time. (scissor lift, fork lift and boom lift)
- Strong organization skills and keeping backstage equipment clean and organized.
- Must be able to work and solve problems under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills and techniques to recognize problems, issues and situations, and apply resourcefulness in finding appropriate solutions to mitigate potential negative effects. Ability to follow-through to ensure effective resolution.
- Proven ability to interact in a consistently positive manner with external clientele, including applicants, volunteers, vendors, visitors and guests, using a high degree of tact, diplomacy, discretion, flexibility, respect and courtesy in gesture and speech.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions based on the vision and values of the Rock Church and production.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, including excellence in oral and written communications to verbalize issues clearly, concisely, and competently in positive or negative situations.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events with poise and professionalism.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; responds promptly to requests for service and works well in group problem-solving situations; strong team player who meets commitments.
- Ability to work in a high-volume environment while maintaining solid productivity and quality of work.
- Self-motivated and flexible with strong organizational skills and the ability to work well with timelines and short deadlines.
Organizational and Spiritual Requirements:
- A heart to serve others with humility and grace in all things related to this job.
- Daily seek God in Worship and Biblical means such as daily devotions and personal prayer time.
- Demonstrate Christ-centered behavior at all times by treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity.
- Utilize the principles of Matthew 18 and Ephesians 4:15 to resolve differences with others.
- Successful completion of a thorough pre-employment references and background checks, which includes: social security verification, Local, State & Federal criminal conviction records search, national security database, and sex offender registry.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events. This includes serving at Good Friday, Easter and Christmas services as well as the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Member of the Rock Church (or willing to transfer membership to the Rock Church).
- Regular involvement in Rock Church activities, ministries and events.
- Tithe to the Rock Church.
- Signed acknowledgment of the Rock’s Statement of Faith.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to the Rock’s policies, procedures and employee handbook.
- Be self-motivated and goal oriented, use good judgment, and be flexible and innovative.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Must be able to work independently, communicate effectively, and lift up to 100lbs (with or without assistance). This position also may require long periods of sitting, standing, walking, and hand/eye coordination for keyboard data entry and viewing data on a computer monitor. Externaland internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the Essential Job Functions either unaided or with assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”, if such is determined, on a case-by-case basis.