Anytown, California, USA
- 10.5% - California's current unemployment rate
- 500 - Average number of home foreclosures per day in California
- 7.5 million - Expected amount of jobs lost by 2011
San Diego, California
- San Diego County's index of leading economic indicators took a nose dive in March, spurred by an increasingly bleak job market.
- There was little good news in the employment figures, as the local unemployment rate increased from 8.9 percent in February to 9.3 percent in March.
- Experts predict that San Diego's economy will remain weak through the end of 2009.
None of us can escape the reality of the current economic crisis. Do you feel helpless? What are you doing to help yourself and others? How should Christians respond?
The Fine Line presents Stimulus, a biblical perspective on the economic crisis. Join us Friday May 8th at 7 PM at the Rock, as Pastor Miles McPherson and a panel of economic experts get real about finances. You've heard about the problem over and over, now come hear a solution.
Stimulus will offer practical ways to bring order to the current chaos of the economic crisis, and help you Do Something about it. Church members need to be ready to help themselves, and of course willing to serve, in a practical way, those in the communities in greatest need.
What's in it for you?
- Get equipped with practical ways to approach the current economic crisis
- Move from fear to action. Learn how to DO Something about your situation and help others.
- Hear a new perspective from God's truth on how to overcome your financial situation.
- Encourage and help others with the principles you learn.
The evening will also feature special musical guest, the Washington Projects. Last year's Fine Line event was packed out. So get to the Rock Sanctuary... early... and save your seat.
Featured Panelists include
Randy M. Ataide
Randy M. Ataide has a uniquely interwoven background in law, theology, entrepreneurship and academia. Randy is the owner of three fruit and diversified agricultural businesses in Dinuba, California, that he started with his wife in 1994. He also serves as Professor of Entrepreneurship and Director of the Entrepreneur Enrichment Program at the Fermanian Business Center at PLNU.
Kevin Dodge is a popular national speaker on business and personal financial topics. He spent 15 years working on Wall Street as an investment banker and institutional investment manager for firms such as American Express, UBS and Lehman Brothers.
James F. Gates
Dr. Jamie Gates is a Professor of Sociology and the Director of the Center for Justice and Reconciliation at Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU). He founded the Center for Justice and Reconciliation at PNLU in 2001, which calls on the Body of Christ to be good news to the poor, freedom for the oppressed, sight to the blind, and release the captive.
Dr. Alan Gin is an Associate Professor of Economics at the University of San Diego. In San Diego, he is known for developing and publishing the University of San Diegos Index of Leading Economic Indicators for San Diego County, a monthly report on the outlook for the local economy.
James H. McEliece
Dr. Jim McEliece is a Professor of Economics and Finance in the Fermanian School of Business at Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU). He has taught principles of economics for over 30 years at both the U.S. Military Academy and PLNU. This is Jims second career, following a successful 29 years as an officer in the U.S. Army.