Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop creative ways to keep the Rock Church in the news.
- Find timely news, identify appropriate markets, draft materials, and disseminate pitches in a timely manner.
- Cultivate and maintain media relationships.
- Assist with press releases, press kits, articles and interviews.
- Create editorial calendars and media lists for personalities and campaigns.
- Aid with market research and develop creative pitching tools.
- Maintain projects and publicity plans.
The above summary of duties represents the major tasks and duties. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Therefore, the individual may perform other related tasks under the direction of the Chief Marketing Officer.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism, or a similar track is required.
- 3-5 years or more years of on the job experience in PR, publicity or a related field is required.
- Provide recent media coverage portfolio.
Job Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Has personally researched media, written a pitch, made a pitch, successfully procured media, and cultivated the relationship from start to finish by themselves.
- Understands current PR tools and resources, speaks current PR vernacular, demonstrates active knowledge of true media sources and what it takes to secure coverage.
- Excellent writer and experienced use of AP style.
- Passionate about the world of PR, is news-cycle minded, and is interested in all types of media including broadcast, print and online mediums.
- Wants to build a brand through booking and securing earned media in creative ways
- Thinks with large scale vision but enjoys and is able to do day-to-day tasks of procuring continuous media coverage.
- Capable of thinking clearly while multitasking on various projects and ideas.
- Values and achieves continuous local/regional coverage, while striving to obtain national coverage.
- Meets deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Professional in person, in writing, and on the phone; speaks with confidence, both with friends and strangers.
- Familiarity with Rock Church.
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Passion for serving, learning and leading.
Organizational and Spiritual Requirements:
- Demonstrate Christ-centered behavior at all times by treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity.
- Utilize the principles of Matthew 18 and Ephesians 4:15 to resolve differences of opinion with others.
- Successful completion of a thorough pre-employment references and background checks, which includes: social security verification, Local, State & Federal criminal conviction records search, national security database, and sex offender registry.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events. This includes serving at Good Friday, Easter and Christmas services as well as the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Member of the Rock Church (or willing to transfer membership to the Rock Church).
- Regular involvement in Rock Church activities, ministries and events.
- Tithe 10% to the Rock Church.
- Signed acknowledgment of the Rock’s Statement of Faith.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to the Rock’s policies, procedures and employee handbook.
- Be self-motivated and goal oriented, use good judgment, and be flexible and innovative.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Must be able to work independently, communicate effectively, and lift up to 25lbs (with or without assistance). This position also may require long periods of sitting, standing, walking, and hand/eye coordination for keyboard data entry and viewing data on a computer monitor. External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the Essential Job Functions either unaided or with assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”, if such is determined, on a case-by-case basis.
Nothing contained in this job description or any other communication (written or verbal) the employee received is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or that any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Compensation information provided to an employee, whether stated in hourly, bi-monthly, annual, or other terms, is not intended nor does it constitute an employment contract or agreement for any specific period of time.
No manager, supervisor or employee of the Rock Church and Academy has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.
Thank you for your prayerful consideration of employment with the Rock Church. We appreciate your interest and encourage you to pray for God's direction before proceeding.
Summary of Process
- Our staffing team will carefully assess all completed submissions received.
- Those who most closely parallel the job skills and requirements will be asked to enter the interview process.
- Applications for those not entering into the interview process will be kept on file.
The status of each job may be found on the Jobs page. If a position is no longer listed, either the position has been filled or a decision has been made to not fill the position at this time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected] or 619.226.7625.
We sincerely appreciate your interest in serving the Lord at the Rock Church and pray His perfect will for your life."
How To Apply
- Download employment application
- For each position desired, send your completed employment application and resumé to
[email protected]. *
(include job title in subject of email)
- fax: (619.393.0187) -OR-
- mail: 2277 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92106