Whereas it has been a DO Something Day for the Rock Church every day for years, it was affirming for those attending worship services on Sunday, March 8, 2009, to hear San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders make it official.
Lisa Gordon, Director of Protocol for Sanders office and a member of the Rock family, presented Pastor Miles McPherson with the Citys proclamation recognizing the Rocks commitment to provide San Diego with 600,000 volunteer hours in 2009. 100,000 of these hours will specifically target the Mayor's selected community projects.
In it she said, "Therefore, the Mayor declares March 8th, as 'DO Something Day' in the City of San Diego."
Cheers and clapping were heard on every level of the Rock Churchs sanctuary.
The Rock Churchs DO Something campaign includes plans to provide a total of 600,000 transforming ministry hours to all of San Diego County in 2009. Volunteers can track their hours by going to www.idosomething.org.
Pastor Miles notes that to achieve our goal, Rock volunteers need to log a total of 1,250 hours each week. The Rock has more than 600 small groups to join, and more than 60 ministries available to choose from. Eight new ministries have been added since the Ministry Fair in February.
Volunteer hours dont all have to be performed through Rock ministries. Volunteers are encouraged to reach out to their community in any way they can. How? It can be any service that acts as a catalyst or has a direct impact on changing the physical and spiritual condition of the people and City of San Diego for Christ.
Each act of service initiates a domino affect, a chain reaction where people "pay it forward". The goal: San Diego being
transformed for Christ. For ideas, go to www.volunteersandiego.org.
Here are some to start with:
- Clean a local park
- Volunteer at an animal shelter
- Pray for a local business
- Take a meal to a neighbor
- Offer free babysitting for a couple who needs a "date night"
- Prepare lunch for the homeless
- Help an elderly person with errands
- Pick up trash at the beach
- Volunteer at school
- Mow your neighbor's lawn
Pastor Miles is challenged everyone who heard Mayor Sanders proclamation to go out and make everyday a DO Something Day!
- Get to Know Your Online Campus Pastor
- Toys for Joy 2017
- A Military Christmas
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Nova Page
- Going Out and Coming In
- When God Moves
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Drew Barragan
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Andre Hudson
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Joshua Randle
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Ruben Mundo