The beginning of the year gives us a unique opportunity to reflect and pray to God about what our desires and goals should be for the following year. While there are countless resolutions, goals, or desires we all have, a common goal for many of us is improving our health and fitness.
Taking good care of ourselves is not only obeying God's word in the Bible; it also extends our health and vitality so we can live a longer, happier, and healthier life to serve God, others, and ourselves.
What Does the Bible Say About Health?
The purpose of the Rock Road Runners is to develop a community of runners that meet weekly to prepare for monthly community 5k or half marathon races
Our health is so important to God; He wants us to provide a clean place for His residence. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
Health is a topic that is consistently discussed throughout the Bible. Below are some passages that tell us what the Bible says specifically about:
- Eating fats: This shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall eat neither fat nor blood. Leviticus 3:17
- Eating excess sweets: It is not good to eat much honey; so to seek one's own glory is not glory. Proverbs 25:27
- Overeating being harmful: And put a knife to your throat, if you are a man given to appetite. Proverbs 23:2
- Eating to live, not living to eat: Blessed are you, O land, when your king is the son of nobles, And your princes feast at the proper time--For strength and not for drunkenness. Ecclesiastes 10:17
- Getting proper rest: And He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while. For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat. Mark 6:31
Being healthy and fit is not just a physical workout, but also a spiritual workout.
Basically, the Bible says we should try to live lives that glorify and bring honor to God, not just in what we eat and drink, but also in our words, thoughts, and actions. 1 Corinthians 10:31 tells us, Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
How Do I Stay Committed to Health?
Often, the hardest part of staying committed is getting started and keeping momentum. Below are a few ways to focus on how to stay committed:
- Seek the Lord for help. Matthew 6:33 says But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
- Commit to keeping your body healthy and continuously create associations for what being healthy means to you. (For example, does being healthy mean having the energy to spend more time with your family, serve God, or follow your dreams?)
- Ask God to send the Holy Spirit to give you the desire, self-control and power necessary to implement good health principles.
The Runners' Ministry
The Runners' Ministry has beginning, intermediate and advanced running groups so everybody has a group they can run with
A great option to consider if you want to combine a physical workout with a spiritual workout is the Runners' Ministry at the Rock. The Runners' Ministry strives to develop a community of runners who will encourage each other to excel during workouts and races-both physically and spiritually.
Whether you are a novice, recreational runner, competitive runner or hardcore runner, the Rock Road Runners will help you meet your running (or walking) goals. The goal of this ministry is to maintain a training schedule that will prepare you to run various races in the San Diego area-races that range from 5K (3.2 miles) to a marathon (26.2 miles). Participating in this ministry would also prepare you to just work out with a group of people that you can run with and be in communion with.
The Rock Road Runners meet every Thursday night and Saturday morning for group runs that consist of warm-ups, running drills, stretching, running/walking in pace groups, devotional time, and cool-downs.
The Runners' Ministry was started in June 2004. There are currently about 12-14 people involved. The goals of the ministry are to have at least 25 people actively involved; and to have training opportunities for its members to participate in one race each month.
If you are interested in joining the Runner's Ministry, you can contact Kyle Kennedy at [email protected], or visit the Runner's Ministry website for more details and a current schedule. This ministry is open to anyone who is interested in running. There is no cost to join or participate in the Rock Road Runner's Ministry.
As we begin the year 2005, let's create lasting change by making healthy decisions that not only make us feel better and experience greater energy, but that also create the health and vitality important for our minds, bodies, and spirit.
- Get to Know Your Online Campus Pastor
- Toys for Joy 2017
- A Military Christmas
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Nova Page
- Going Out and Coming In
- When God Moves
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Drew Barragan
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Andre Hudson
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Joshua Randle
- Get to know your Worship Leader: Ruben Mundo