If you’re unemployed, like so many in this season, the waiting can be awful. I know, I have been unemployed more times than I care to admit. In those periods of my life, I have found myself nearly debilitated with fear. Some days I felt a ray of encouragement slip through the dark clouds. But most were exercises in simply trying to stay sane.
To help keep from falling into madness, I read my Bible in the morning, and I prayed, and I tried to praise God throughout the day as I committed more and more of my life to Him. And along the way, when I have heard wisdoms from a sermon or a devotional or a conversation—or even wisdoms that I felt God had spoken to my spirit—I have found myself typing them on a desktop sticky entitled, Survival Guide. For sanity, I’d look at them over and over and over again—and breathe deep.
My list has grown long over time, but a handful have risen to the top as particularly helpful for setting my soul at ease. Waiting need not be torture.
Lastly, one morning I was at the Rock, sitting in the very front row, when Pastor Miles asked, “How many of you are reeling under financial pressure right now?” My hand shot up. “Go ahead,” he said, “look around.”
As I turned and looked back, I saw what must have been 75% of the people with their hands raised.
We are not alone. It’s tough out there. I hope this little list helps.
1. GUESS WHAT—IT’S NOT ABOUT MONEY. IT’S ABOUT GROWING IN FAITH.
2. EVERY TRIAL IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR GOD TO SHOW OFF.
3. IF YOU’RE PLEADING MORE THAN PRAISING, YOU’RE OFF COURSE.
4. IF YOU’RE GOING TO WORRY, DON’T BOTHER PRAYING—AND VICE VERSA.
5. SAY THESE THREE THINGS OUT LOUD EVERY DAY, ALL DAY 1) I TRUST YOU 2) I’M NOT WORRIED 3) I PRAISE YOU FOR THIS TIME.
6. WHAT KINDS OF THINGS DOES THE DEVIL WANT YOU TO THINK RIGHT NOW?
7. STOP LOOKING TOWARD TOMORROW AS IF, “I’LL BE HAPPY WHEN____________.” TODAY IS THE DREAM AND FULL OF BLESSING. LIVE TODAY.
8. PRAISE GOD IN ADVANCE OF ANSWERED PRAYER, WHATEVER THE ANSWER MIGHT BE.
9. EVERY TIME FEAR OR WORRY WAFTS THROUGH YOUR MIND, YOU ARE PICKING UP YOUR BURDEN. JESUS SAYS PUT IT DOWN.
10. GRATITUDE AND BLESSING ARE INEXTRICABLY TIED.
11. THIS TIME IS NOT TROUBLE YOU HAVE TO ENDURE BUT AN OPPORTUNITY YOU GET TO LIVE.
12. MAKE NO MISTAKE, PRAISE IS YOUR KEY TO SURVIVAL
13. “I AM NOT BOUND BY YOUR PAST MISTAKES. I HAVE REDEEMED YOUR PAST. I USE YOUR PAST FOR YOU.”
14. HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR IDOLS: TAKE NOTE OF WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT.
15. A COMMENT FROM A SURVIVING WIDOW ABOUT HER LAST CONVERSATION WITH HER HUSBAND: “HOW WE WISHED WE DIDN’T SPEND SO MUCH OF OUR LIVES WORRYING ABOUT MONEY.”
16. NOT ONLY DO YOU NOT HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT, GOD HAS TOLD YOU TO STOP TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT! IT’S A GIFT. TAKE IT.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not unto your own understanding,
17. IF YOU ONLY KNEW HOW IN CONTROL GOD HAS IT, YOU WOULDN’T WORRY ONE MINUTE ABOUT IT.
18. CONSIDER IT ALL JOY WHEN YOU ENCOUNTER TRIALS—IS NOT A SUGGESTION. IT’S A COMMAND TO HELP PRESERVE YOUR PEACE.
19. YOUR FUTURE HAS ALREADY BEEN DECIDED. NOW, WILL YOU FINALLY RELAX?
20. FOR GOD, MONEY IS THE EASY PART.
21. USE THIS TIME TO BECOME THE MOST GRATEFUL PERSON ON EARTH.
Rock Financial Life is hosting a 6-week online course entitled Everything About Money. If you're interested in fighting for your financial breakthrough, click here.