We are meeting at the Point Loma Campus.
1st Floor, Room 144 (behind the bookstore)
After you enter the lobby, walk past the elevators and the bookstore, go through the double doors on your right, and walk all the way down the walkway almost to the end. Room 144 will be on your right.
Devotional (6:00pm-7:00pm) and line dancing (7:00pm-8:00pm).
During our devotional time, we will discuss The Chosen (study below). During our line dancing time, we will learn easy beginner level line dances.
THE CHOSEN: I Have Called You by Name
Please watch the video, read the scripture references, and answer the discussion questions.
Video (click here to watch the video)
1 Corinthians 9:5
Nicodemus, Matthew, Mary Magdalene, Peter and Andrew
The Big Question:
What is your one BIG question from this episode? (What captured your imagination most, and what would you ask God about the events portrayed?)
Bring to Group:
Write a paragraph about how this episode helped you think about Jesus’ intentionality and timing in His encounters with people.
Group Discussion Questions:
1. Which characters stood out to you most? Which were most interesting? Most moving?
2. Who was the more identifiable character for you - Nicodemus/Mary Magdalene? Why?
3. Did Peter’s marriage surprise you? Why?
4. What did you think about how enticing wealth was for Matthew and yet how hated he was for his willingness to work for Rome and extort his fellow Jews?
5. What did you think about the timing of the appearance of Jesus? What were the filmmakers saying about Jesus’ intentionality and timing?
6. What were your impressions of Nicodemus and his helplessness before the demon-possessed Mary Magdalene?
7. In what ways can you identify with Mary Magdalene?
8. We are being shown each character’s “before Jesus” life. What does an encounter with Jesus do to people? How is your encounter with Jesus changing YOU?
9. What parts of your “before” has God redeemed, and which are you most grateful for?
10. How does “I have called you by name, you are mine” impact you today?
11. What has Jesus delivered you from and for?
12. Who is someone in your life who needs to “come and see” Jesus? Pray for that person, then go make the introduction. Trust Jesus to do the convincing.
QUOTES “What if it’s more beautiful and strange than we could ever imagine?” (Nicodemus)